After a 7 month hiatus from blogging, I am back!
Things I have learned since I’ve been gone:
1) Having a baby daughter is by far the most awesome yet scariest thing that can ever happen to a man. I love her dearly, and we have had a blast these past 10 months – she is my world and I wouldn’t change that for anything. She is our first and to say having a baby changes your life is an understatement. Sleepless nights, dirty diapers, giggles and now a lot of crawling – it is truly been a blessing of an experience.
2) Mid-major colleges are awesome – I flew to Boise State for my Masters in Educational Technology and spent 2 nights out there. Gorgeous campus, gorgeous town and a fantastic graduation ceremony. Having graduated from Michigan State I had never been to a smaller school before. While I will bleed green and white forever, 20 minutes in Boise made me realize that I could have been a Bronco too and been happy.
3) Apparently I cannot quit going to school. In August I joined a cohort at National Louis University for a Type 75 administrative certificate – just in case a door opens in the future – I will be ready to step through it.
4) Common Core is a lot like waking up with the flu/needing to throw-up – you can fight it all you want but eventually its going to happen after you do it you feel better. I’ll admit I wasn’t entirely on-board at first but after doing some reading and research and seeing that if it is done right it actually gives the teacher more autonomy and focuses on skill development I am hooked.
5) I have found a new passion for writing in the classroom. After getting away from it for awhile for reasons that I still don’t fully understand I approached this semester with the emphasis on writing with my seniors. Using Kelly Gallagher’s book Write Like This, I am redesigning the process in which we approach writing in Honors Government class. So far, so good and I will keep you posted.
I have learned a lot more since the last time I blogged, but as referenced in #1, I have a baby daughter and on top of being the most adorable thing on the planet she also wears me out so I am signing off and heading to bed. I promise to visit more often. Until next time – go forth and do good things.